The Ultimate List of Marketing Terms You Should Know
Here you will find the ultimate list of marketing terms you should know. Due to the hundreds of terms and acronyms in the marketing world, it can get a little overwhelming and confusing. However, there are several categories that can help simplify each term, including content marketing terms, digital marketing terms, email marketing terms, marketing acronyms, social media terms, and more. Within this article, we will look at some of these categories as well as important terms you should know.
For a full list and glossary, visit available resources online. Understanding the list of marketing terms can help keep you aware of important information. We will look at the different marketing terms, including content marketing terms, digital marketing terms, email marketing terms, and more.
Content Marketing Terms
First of all, let’s look at some content marketing terms. Content marketing involves creating and sharing online content with the purpose of attracting audiences with the products, services, and content. Here is a list of terms and brief definitions:
- Backlink: a hyperlink from one website to another
- Content Management System (CMS): software that manages content on its website or blog
- Content Marketing: marketing concerned with creating and providing high-quality content. Its purpose is to attract and engage a certain audience or audiences.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM): a tool that helps manage a company’s interactions with audiences by organizing and automating calls or emails
- Content Marketing Funnel: different stages of content strategies
- Content Metrics: an important tool that measures how a company’s content is being portrayed, for example their content’s success, shares, engagement, how many leads that have been generated, views, and more
- Infographics: images in the form of charts and diagrams that helps simplify and explain important information and data
Digital Marketing Terms
Now, let’s look at digital marketing terms. Digital marketing involves several digital techniques and strategies to connect with audiences. The following is a simplified list of terms in association with digital marketing:
- A/B Testing: testing two different versions of a specific element (for example, a webpage, CTA, etc.) with everything else staying constant to help a company determine which version performs better. This term can also be applied to social media marketing and email marketing as well.
- Bounce Rate: the amount in percentage of visitors who navigate from a site after one view of a single page
- Call to Action (CTA): designed to instruct a user to take a certain action that connects with a company’s goal
- Click-Through Rate (CTR): amount of people (%) who look at a certain link and then click on it.
- Conversion Rate: amount of users (%) who complete an action, for example downloading or submitting content
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): the ability to influence a website’s visibility by using backlinks, relevant keywords, and other techniques
- Pay Per Click (PPC): paid ads on Google; different from SEO, but works great with SEO
Email Marketing Terms
Also, in addition to the previous categories, email marketing is a more specific form of marketing. It directly communicates with audiences through electronic mail to discuss commercial purposes and advertise. Here is a list of a few terms associated with email marketing:
- Blacklist: a list that indicates which IP addresses may be spammer IPs
- Whitelist: a list that includes IP addresses that are approved for delivery
- Email Service Provider (ESP): an organization that can provide bulk email marketing services
- List Segmentation: breaking up lists by certain topics and groups to create automations
- Net Promoter Score (NPS): a customer satisfaction metric that measures how people would recommend your company and is based on a scale from 0 to 10
- User Experience (UX): the overall experience a user has with a company or business
More Important Terms
- Social Media Marketing: Similar to yet different from digital marketing, social media marketing involves the specific use of social media platforms and websites to promote something.
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI): measures the success of your campaigns
- Cost Per Acquisition (CPA): measures how much it costs to acquire a customer
- Cost Per Impression (CPI): measures how often your ad appears on a site and if audiences are actually interacting with it
- Engagement Rate: measures how often users are interacting with your brand through different social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Business to Business (B2B): marketing to other businesses
- Business to Consumer (B2C): marketing to consumers
- Relevancy Score: measure how relevant your ad is and how it works in relation to other similar advertisements (social media marketing)
- Quality Score: Google’s rating of your paid ad’s quality and relevance
Evidently, these are more common terms that you are more likely to come across if you are interested in marketing. It can get overwhelming at first because there are hundreds of different terms, but you will eventually become accustomed to the lingo and pretty soon you will understand more than the terms listed above.
As a writer and a poet, Alexandra finds that words have the power to connect people from around the world.